Alnico Magnets - Overview
Alnico permanent magnets are very strong, but have a relatively small resistance against demagnetization. Alnico magnets have the best temperature coefficients of any magnet material. They do not need to be coated.Alnico magnets are a best choice in extremely high temperature applications.
Alnico Magnets - Performance
Advantages of Alnico Magnets
- Cast alnico can be produced to complex shapes with complex magnetic patterns.
- Can be used up to 500-550 degrees C (932-1022F).
- Least variation in magnetic output with temperature change of any magnetic material.
- Can be cast in very large sizes.
Typical Applications for Alnico Magnets
- Very high temperature applications
- Use in hot oils
- Guitar pickups
- Cow magnets
- Motors and Generators
- Mass spectrometers
- Precision sensors and meters
- Alnico magnets are very hard and brittle and can be broken unless carefully handled.
- Alnico magnets are easily demagnetized - even when exposed to repelling magnetic fields - such as when two similar Alnico magnets are placed in repulsion.
- Cast Alnico materials commonly contain casting voids and hairline cracks within the material. Finish machining can expose these voids and hairline cracks.